Friday, September 05, 2008

Sweet salami

Here is another dessert with wafer sheets: sweet salami. I still remember very well when I had this dessert for the first time. I was around 10 years old and a cousin of my neighbour made it. I was amazed how cool it looked, I had never seen cake looking like a sausage but made of chocolate and biscuits.

The original recipe is with butter biscuits, chocolate, milk, butter and sometimes nuts. My recipe has no butter, instead I increased the amount of chocolate. I also added some popped amaranth covered with honey. But you can put any kind of biscuits, nuts (chopped, ground), chocolate....
I used one wafer sheet but you can do this cake without it as well. Form salami, let it set over night in the fridge and next day sprinkle with some powdered sugar.

Sweet salami
1 wafer sheet
200 gr chocolate
1,5 dl milk
3 dl popped amaranth
2 dl ground hazelnuts
300 gr crushed amaranth biscuits


Put wafer sheet between two wet tea towels. It needs to get soft so that you can use it as "skin" for the salami.
Crush biscuits and mix with amaranth and hazelnuts. Chop chocolate, heat milk and pour over chocolate, stir until melted. Pour over biscuits and blend well. Let sit for 15 minutes.
The texture should not be too dry or too wet. You should be able to form salami that can hold its shape. If necessary add more dry or wet ingredients.

Put salami at one end of the wafer sheet (rough side up) and role until salami is covered with the wafer sheet. You can also make 2 or 3 thinner salamis if you want. Wrap salami tightly with cling film and put it in the fridge. From time to time turn salami so that it doesn't get too flat.

No comments: