Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Choux pastry

I have always been insecure when making choux pastry. It is a tricky one. But then I saw a post at The Kitchen and I felt so inspired and motivated by the recipe that I decided to finally get over my choux pastry fear.

The things I used to find very hard was the consistency of the dough and the baking it self. Now I have learned to beat all the eggs together, then add in separate additions until almost all eggs are used. The dough should be stiff and definitely not runny.

And when it comes to the baking I make it simple, I heat the oven to 220 C and bake for about 20-25 minutes. And when done I poke each pastry so that the steam escapes, just like suggested at The Kitchen.


This time I added some smoked paprika to the dough and I made the pastries very tiny, bite size tiny. When cold I dipped them in creme fraiche and sprinkled with a bit of smoked paprika. 

Choux pastry
makes 35 tiny pastries

recipe from The Kitchen
1/2 C water (1 dl + 2 tbsp)
2 oz butter (55gr)
pinch of salt
1/2 C flour (I used white spelt flour, 1 dl + 2 tbsp)
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
2 eggs

100 gr creme fraiche
about 2 tbsp milk
some salt
some smoked paprika for sprinkling

Bring the water, butter and salt to almost boil. Take off the heat and add the flour all at once. Stir until you have smooth dough. Return back to heat and cook stirring all the time for about 3 minutes. Add smoked paprika and let cool to room temperature.

Beat the eggs together and add in two separate additions to the dough. Here you have to be careful so that dough does not become runny. I always have bit of eggs over, which I use for brushing the pastries before baking. I have never needed to add an extra egg.


Heat the oven to 220C. I use two small tea spoons for shaping the dough. And if you would like to have bite-size pastries fill only half of the tea spoon with the dough. Have about 5 cm between each pastry. Use the rest of the beaten eggs for brushing the pastries (I do it with my fingers). Bake for about 20-25 minutes. When done poke each pastry and let cool.
Mix creme fraiche with milk and salt, dip the top of each pastry in it and sprinkle with some smoked paprika.

No comments: