Friday, September 04, 2009

Green tomatoes

Something else I bought in Spain were green tomatoes. I have always been curious about fried green tomatoes but I have never seen them at the market. In Spain you can see them pretty much everywhere. I do not know how Spanish people prepare them but I was firmly determined to fry them.


I found the recipe at Epicurious and after reading Wikipedia article I changed the recipe a bit. Green tomatoes turned out very delicious and will definitely stay on the menu. As long as I find them at the market.
And something that has to be mentioned is the smoked paprika. It really made the success here so it has to be included.

Fried green tomatoes
 

adapted from Epicurious
serves 2
 

2 green tomatoes
1,5 dl breadcrumbs
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
salt and pepper
1 dl olive oil for frying

Cut the tomatoes in a bit less than 1 cm thick slices. In a bowl mix the breadcrumbs, smoked paprika, salt end pepper. Heat a pan with olive oil, dip each tomato slice in the breadcrumbs and fry on each side until golden. Put them on the kitchen paper for the excess oil to be absorbed.

No comments: