Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Milk ricotta

Italian ricotta is made of whey that is left after making other types of cheese. Milk ricotta, on the other hand, is made straight from the milk. I do not know if technically milk ricotta can be called ricotta, but it was the right type of cheese I needed for a pie I was making.
Milk ricotta is grainy, does not melt when cooked and I wanted exactly that kind of cheese for my spinach pie. I was looking to buy it but could not find the equivalent, so I decided to make it.


It was super easy to make it and milk ricotta turned out beautifully. I will for sure make it more often, and use for more than the spinach pie. I have also made it with goats' milk and it was as delicious.

Milk ricotta
recipe adapted from Epicurious 

makes about 200 gr ricotta
1 liter milk (I used 3,8%)
1/2 tsp salt
2,5 tbsp lemon juice
sieve and large tea/coffee filters

Line the sieve with filters and put over a bowl. Bring the milk with salt to boil, stir from time to time and keep an eye on it. Add the lemon juice and simmer until the milk curdles, minute or so.

Pour the ricotta into the sieve and let drain for about an hour.

No comments: